Monday, March 28, 2011

Give it up NPR

NPR's On the Media show spent another hour last night trying to prove to the world that they are not liberal.

I don't think this is a good idea.

For one thing, my respect for the organization has gone down. For another, who do they think they are fooling?

The logic being employed seems to be based on a misconception that the terms liberal and conservative are like black and white.

However, little has been offered on the many shades of gray in between. And when it comes down to people -- they are rarely ultra conservative or ultra liberal. Their self-definition lies somewhere in the range between the extremes.

I consider myself a mild social liberal and a strong economic conservative. My wife likes to think of herself as a strong social liberal, but she really hates to pay taxes.

The variations are limitless.

But, for NPR's self-definition, rather than spending all this time trying to say they are not "liberal" without defining what that means, or even what "conservative" means, is just silly.

If it makes them feel any better, here is my take on it: They are not hard left-wing liberal; they are not as left-wing and Rush Limbaugh is right-wing; but they are definitely leaning to the left of me and many other Americans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home