Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I'm driving under the speed limit

I need a bumper sticker that says: I'm driving under the speed limit to save gas, so who is the blinking idiot?"
Why is driving slower not an option for most drivers? We all complain when the price of gas is around $4, so why is slowing down not an option?
Here is how it works: If you drive a Ferarri that has a pointy front and the top is about 3 feet off the ground, your best gas mileage may be around 80 mph. But if you drive a big SUV that tops out at over 7 feet and has a square front, your best mpg may be closer to 40 mph.
You can and will save gas by driving slower. My car has a manual transmission and I know that I can get gas mileage -- above 35 mpg -- if I drive about 55 mph and keep the engine revolutions around 2,000. Every car is different, but few vehicles -- unless they are racing cars -- get their best mileage at 70 or above.
The odd thing is that I believe drivers are beginning to get the idea.
For the first time this weekend, I found drivers on the freeways going 65 in a 70 zone. Amazing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home